Saturday, May 17, 2008

Night Of Horrors

**Mommy's Turn**

So last night Brad and I had one of the scariest moments in our parenthood thus far. About an hour after Corben went to sleep he woke up in a way we've never seen before. Normally when he wakes up we just let him fuss for a second and then he falls back to sleep but last night this cry was different - horrific - if I may describe it more strongly. We darted to his room and he was hysterical and shaking. He was completely disoriented and inconsolable. The only thing I could think of is that he was having a night terror. We've never experienced this before and quite frankly we don't exactly want to ever again. We turned on the light and talked to him and he finally calmed down. We let him stay up with us for a little bit to hopefully distract him from whatever caused this scary moment. After a while he went right back to sleep and didn't wake up again until this morning (early but that's beside the point). I guess unless it happens again in the near future we'll refrain from making an appointment with the pediatrician. I googled night terrors and the wise internet said that it can sometimes be attributed to excessive sleepiness, which would make sense since he was super tired when he went to bed because of a disrupted nap schedule yesterday. Whatever it was that caused this scary moment I hope it never happens again because it truly was a frightening experience for Brad and I. Have you had any experience with night terrors? Any advice?

3 comments:

Alison said...

So sorry to hear he had a scary moment. At least you were both there to calm him down and it sounds like you did a great job at that. I hope it's sweet dreams and sleeping through the night from here on out!

Lea said...

How frightening! I hope it doesn't happen again, and hopefully Corben has fully recovered and has no memory of it!

Kimberlee said...

Ian dealt with those for a little while when he was about Corben's age. It didn't last long, but I will agree it is very scary for Mommy and Daddy too. The doctor told us that it is something that they usually grow out of very quickly. Hang in there! Just give him all the love and cuddles he needs and you all will make it through!